Monday, February 13, 2006

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)


Title: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Director: Garth Jennings
Genre: Sci-Fi/Comedy
Highs: None
Lows: For as memorable as the novel is this film is very forgettable.
RhynoBot Grade: D

Oh lordy, lordy, lordy. How could this movie be so bad when the source material is soooo good??? Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has an interesting history. It started as a radio serial in Britain, was then written as a bestselling novel, then was made into a British mini-series, and now finally has made it's way to Hollywood as a feature film. I actually, finally read the novel last summer while I was on vacation. I actually had low expectations, I had heard of the book for several years before but avoided it since I had always regarded it as some nerdy owner's manual or something. Well for the most part I was right but me being a nerd myself I loved the book and found myself laughing out loud several times a chapter (again with the British humor). Not so with this new movie adaptation of the book, I don't think I actually laughed once. It was like watching a shadow of what the book was all about. Certain elements were there like the Earth being blown up and Ford explaining about his field research for new editions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the galaxies bestselling guide book, but there was no soul. Everything looked pretty but everything that made the book so fun and hilarious was white washed turning a very memorable book into a very forgetful movie. To me that's just a shame since this had the potential of being really great if someone cared enough to do it right.

My suggestion would be to forget this movie exists (which I have already done), pick-up a copy for the book, put on your thinking cap, flip on the improbability drive, and let the nerdiness flow because it's a great ride.

This movie is crap, don't waste your time.

1 Comments:

Blogger cookie said...

one of these days i will actually make it through all of your blogs... but for now i'm going to try and get through all of the ones you've written this year... geez...

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home