Monday, January 30, 2006

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)


Title: My Neighbor Totoro (English language)
Director: Hayao Miyazaki
Genre: Anime
Highs: Simple fun fantasy.
Lows: Tim Daly is horrible as the voice of the father.
RhynoBot Grade: A

Let me just start by saying I LOVE THIS MOVIE! I know I have said this numerous times about Hayao Miyazaki but he is a genius. His perfect blend of visuals, creativity, strong character development, engaging story, and heartfelt emotion is all woven into a delightful fun fantasy that is My Neighbor Totoro. From what I understand the character Totoro is as big in Japan as Mickey Mouse is here in the US. Large plush toys of the strange raccoon/mouse/sloth forest spirit creature that is Totoro are still hot items for sale in Japan although the movie was released there almost 20 years ago.

This story looks like it takes place during the turn of the 20th century Japan, certainly pre-WWII. Satsuki (voiced my Elle Fanning) and Mei (voiced by my nemesis Dakota Fanning) are sisters that move into an old house in the country. The two girls initially live with just their father (horribly voice acted by Tim Daly in the English language version). We learn later on in the story that their mother is sick with some unknown illness and is residing in a hospital at the nearest city, which is where their father also works as a professor. Nearby is a forest with a huge tree at the center. Satsuki (about 7 years old) and Mei (about 4 years old) soon discover this is no ordinary forest but is the home of a tree spirit named Totoro with whom they become friends and share adventures. I will not tell you more than that since any more of a description would spoil your enjoyment of this story. I will say that the characters Satsuki and Mei are two very charming little girls. Satsuki being the old of the two often times finds herself in the situation of having to look after Mei. Mei is a precocious 4 year old with an adventurous spirit and strong will. There are many scenes in this movie where Mei reminds me very much of how my wife would have been as a little girl. In fact there is one scene in particular where Mei is clinging to an ear of corn and won't let go that reminded me so much of my wife I had to laugh.

At the very heart of this movie is a fun up lifting spirit with some true emotion. After watching this movie I have come to the realization that Miyazaki has a central theme expressed in all his movies. That central theme is undeniably love. Love for family, love for nature, love for country, and love for acceptance and tolerance of those that are different. All of the Miyazaki movie I have seen so far (Totoro, Mononke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa, Castle) embody his a message of love and acceptance. There are certainly worse things to focus your life’s work on but certainly not too many better things. So in the spirit of Miyazaki - I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

This is another great Miyazaki movie, my favorite so far, you should see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home