Saturday, December 03, 2005

War Of The Worlds (2005)


Title: War of the Worlds (2005)
Director: Steven Spielberg
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action
Highs: Savage Intensity
Lows: Everyone is happy in the end.
RhynoBot Grade: B

Right off the bat I have to rant about the state of re-makes in Hollywood. Seriously this is one of the worst ideas that Hollywood has come up with since thinking it was a good idea to let Yahoo Serious make a movie (if you don't know what I'm talking about look it up on IMDB you'll get the picture). My biggest problem with re-makes is you take a sub-par movie to begin with and turn it into a polished turd that is still sub-par. As you can see from my above statement regarding re-makes I was completely bias going into watching this film. I have to say in this case Spielberg polished this turd so much it actually came out looking shiny with substance.

I soooo wanted to write this review blasting Tom Cruise, Spielberg, and especially Dakota Fanning, but I can't. The fact of the matter is they all did a fantastic job in each of their own respects. Cruise superbly played the part of the edgy, distant Dad that has been edged out of his children's live, by force or more likely by choice (but Cruise as a Long Shoreman, I ain't buying it). Spielberg does what he does best, draws your attention with very well planned and methodical direction then completely unleashes with savage intensity from 15 minutes in until 10 minutes before it ends.

Dakota, Dakota, Dakota - what to say here??? This is the first movie I have seen with little Miss Dakota Fanning but I am already tired of hearing her name everywhere in cinema entertainment. How can a girl so young have so much work? Five movies in the last year with big name actors. Thirteen movies in the past 5 years, which so happens to be half her age. Is it because she's cute - I personally don't think so. Is it because she has charm - possibly. Is it because she has the words greatest agent - likely. But surprisingly one thing she certainly does have, and funny enough it was the last thing I expected but, the girl has some serious talent for acting. Yes she has down pat the requisite screaming at something scary like all child actresses have to do but this was much more. Here's this 9 year old actually acting like how a 9 year old would if thrust into this horrific set of circumstances. This may seem like a minor point but it really isn't, most less skilled performers would over dramatize the part. I really felt a genuine sense of panic and dissotiative withdrawing that a young child would have while trying to survive such grievous trauma. For that I commend her, job well done - you have won this round Miss Fanning.

Before I move off the performers in the film I have to mention a supporting role highlight - Justin Chatwin who plays Robbie the chip on my shoulder, I hate my father because he doesn't care to understand me son to Tom Cruise. This is a role that could have easily just faded into the background unnoticed with no body caring about what happens to the character but Chatwin bring a compassionate spirit to the role. You not only see his emotions in his expressions but you feel there is much more to his character then what is being shown on the surface. Way to own the part Justin, giving it your all.

There's not much to say about the special effect, they are what they are - excellent for the most part (what else do you expect from the ILM folks). I must say though the physical sets were much more impressive then the CGI stuff. The set with the 747 crash was astounding. But the alien design was both hit and miss. A major hit was in the design of the Tri-pods. They were both retro and futuristic but not anymore alien then what you would see at a large public aquarium (very deep, deep sea looking in nature - reminiscent of "The Abyss"). The aliens themselves where rather disappointing since it wasn't anything new, which is an inherent downfall of a re-make movie anyway. I have seen these aliens before in "Independence Day", almost a carbon copy of the head/face design. Granted there were some design changes, they're not exact, but still familiar enough to be distracting.

One final thing I would like to say about the film - it falls into the same trap that a lot of Sci-Fi/Action films fall into and this won't be the last time you hear me bitch about it. I know it's Spielberg and he has a knack for it but why, oh why must we have the happy ending??? So Spielberg wants me to believe that there is this quaint little Brownstone in Boston that is so impervious to alien attack, an attack that not even the strongest military weapons on the face of the Earth in all nations across the world could withstand, and just so happens to house the ex-wife, new husband, in-laws, and mysteriously the son that by all accounts should be dead, safely? Damn, I need to buy some real estate in Boston if that's the case. Come on Spielberg that is just way too huge a sugar pill to swallow.

In the end what this movie has to offer is what Spielberg always brings to the table - you care about the characters, everything looks great, and solid performances all around from the characters that matter most.

Good movie, you should see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home